Saturday 2 January 2016

So that was 2015...

I had a great running year in 2015, 1700 miles covered and much fun along the way with the best friends a girl could ask for.

3 marathons - Halstead, Stour Valley and Thetford.
4 ultra marathons - St Peters Way, Saffron Trail, The Chilterns Ultra, Monster Ultra
a few other shorter races and my own Touch the Bird 24 Challenge which is really an equal highlight to finishing Saffron Trail!
Final very emotional lap of Touch the Bird 24


I had one DNF (or RTC, refused to continue, as some like to call it!) at the Chilterns, purely for mental reasons but I learnt from it and I will go back, probably not this year but one day.

As I said the highlight for me in 2015 was finishing Saffron Trail, a 70 mile overnight race that I hadn't finished the year before. I had awesome support from friends along the way and that helped enormously and thoroughly enjoyed every step!
Awesome support crew at Saffron Trail Ultra
My big sister and I!

Great Notley parkrun has also given me many, many happy memories, great runs and new friends over the last year. Tomorrow is the anniversary of my first stint as run director and joining the core team has been fantastic both in terms of my own self confidence and being able to put something back into running. An added bonus has been my sister taking up running and as a result we have spent more time together.

Great Notley parkrun Core Team

I don't have huge plans (yet) for this year. I have some races booked, I am looking forward to running St Peters Way with Richard and Len and supporting them as they run their first ultras. I am going to run the Malverns Ultra in May and am looking for something long later in the year. I need to keep the summer free in the hope a suitable guide dog is found for my son and we need to be available for training. I plan to spend more time just packing my race vest and going out exploring the countryside and  to continue to enjoy my running as I have done over the past months. Who knows what other crazy challenges I will come up with, Touch the Bird 300 is already lurking in my head!! I also aim to run 2016 miles this year which means about 40 miles a week.

To sum up 2015 was awesome and 2016 is just going to be even more epic!

Many, many thanks to every one of you who has shared a mile or more with me in 2015 and here's to many more fun filled miles to come.

First parkrun of 2016


Happy New Year and happy running xxx

2 comments: